17 April 2012

Coffee Shop Poetry

So I was in the coffee shop this morning, waiting around for the opening of the bookstore that it shares the building with. And I committed a Random Act of Poetry. I blame it on April being Poetry Month. Here it is, for your edification, in its barely polished glory (identifying details have been obliterated to protect the nocent).

COFFEE SHOP POETRY

Paper sleeve
on paper cup
(where "paper" is a somewhat
metaphorical term).
Holding four dollars' worth
of hot milk, sugar and
Earl Grey.

Four.
Flippin.
Dollars.

Double it, and I could get
a gallon of milk, a whole
package of tea, and a kilo
of sugar.
But no paper cups,
and not a single
paper
sleeve.

17/4/2012

Life, the Universe, and Poetry. I'm sure there's a lesson in here somewhere.

7 comments:

  1. OUTRAGIOUS!!! But those paper cups taste so good....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Drink coffee. Let them eat cake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, the cakes were no great shakes today, so I skipped those.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the poem. But... FOUR DOLLARS! Crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, and that was even the small size cup. Usually I have a goodie with it, so I've always blamed the cost of my coffee shop snack on the price of the cake- but this time, it really hit home how expensive the silly drink itself is! And voila, poetry occurred. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete